Thursday, September 8

other things i make -- indoor tent for kids

 i make lots of other things apart from my BIRCHseed products.... 



i started this series a couple of weeks ago with a post about some bespoke flower girl dresses i made for my neighbour....  & today i am sharing a cakies treat i found on the grossgrain 'free pattern a month' project.

its such a simple project.... the bug fabric i designed and screenprinted myself -- black ink onto a fresh cream cotton base-cloth.


i bought the timber and dowel from the local hardware store -- sanded the edges and drilled a few holes to fit the frame together.



next was sewing the fabric seams on my singer, tacking on a few ties and throwing the fabric over the frame, (adding a few pillows and teddies inside) to make the tent complete.



... my son is at the age were he just loves creating his own cubby house spaces everywhere! so, with this tent being portable and quick to throw up, its a perfect playtime addition for a 2 year old toddler. it's also a great space for mum or dad to squeeze into with our son to do bedtime reading!

---

:: I would love you to share any blogs or websites you know of that have some great kids ideas.

more great stuff over at our creative spaces today!


18 comments:

  1. I just love love LOVE this!! I all of a sudden want to rush off to the garage and make one! :)
    And I really LOVE that fabric too... boys just love bugs hey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I want to make one too it looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just fabulous - I still like making tents now, am I allowed to say that at 25?! The print is lovely and I like the shade of wood you've used too!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 2 year old little girl is too obsessed with building cubbies. I really wanna try this one it looks so cosy I could sleep in there myself! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about making a tent like this for my kids for christmas. Yours looks fantastic - those bugs are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! It's inspiring me to create a reading corner of my own, thank-you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful Nikki - I wish my kids were littlies again. They would have loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome! - that would be a great place to have a nice warm coffee too - and a little nana nap afterwards. i LOVE the bug fabric, your talents continue to AMAZE me. mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the ever inspiring comments everyone :-)

    Yep I'd have to agree with the suggestions of the adults joining in on the fun and taking some joyous time in the tent... It's definitely a regular occurrence in our home!!

    It's really great outdoors too... When it's placed under a shadey tree, the sa
    Shadows flicker across the bugs and it takes you to another world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this project bookmarked. Yours looks fantastic! Love those bugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful and practical - I love these kind of projects! Well done:) Cyndy

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing, what a fab tent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lovely cosy little nook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is AMAZING - now, I wonder if a pair of completely unhandy people can make one of those... am sure I could handle the fabric, but wood is another matter entirely. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fantastic! You are so clever to screen print the fabric yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are right that is fab!!..I will have to come back and copy at some stage....perfect for the garden too....love that it stores easy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love this. I want to make one for our son's 2nd birthday that is coming up and found your tent via a google search...it's fantastic and I love that you have printed your own fabric :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tammi from little poppa has made a tent and posted it up on her blog...

    http://littlepoppa.blogspot.com/2011/10/play-tent.html

    wahoo tammi!!

    ReplyDelete

hi, i love hearing from people... please leave me a comment to let me know you were here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...